[pct-l] yikes

I didn't mean to start a storm with Poor Ol' Ray.  I appreciate the comments
from the 10 or so who e-mailed me directly with hiking tips and some no
whining comments (break camp in 15 minutes, start hiking 1/2 hour before dawn, hike
all day, wear sneaks and go through streams, hike 'til dark, etc.)  Far from
whining, I'm a very skilled hiker and do all of those, and all the other things
we know how to do.   But, I'm average or less than average on stamina--a
function of still working full-time at 58, bad knees, genetics, gin and OJ,
whatever.   I guess I'm just a wus, but I get tired after hiking all day.  But, it's
a always a Good Tired--tired as a result of self-propelling through places
few people go and going places you'd never think you'd go.   I've been up
Forester 7 times.  Every time I've reached the top I've been drained, butt-tired,
out of breath, and battling the marmots at the bottom of the pass for space to
camp.

But, I'm still not going to be able to do a thru-hike of the PCT in a single
year, which requires the hiker to average 20+ miles every day for four months.
 I will do it in pieces over years.   Ray Jardine's methods have made it
possible for a wider range of people to enjoy the sport of backpacking, even
long-distance backpacking.   While I still think corn pasta sucks, the principles
of corn pasta do apply.   I for one thank Ray for everything he's done for
backpacking

john