[pct-l] sec. C trip report

I just got back from 50 mi. thru the Sky Lakes Wilderness, from Hwy. 140 to
Hwy. 62, and it was a great trip.

Trail conditions are exemplary throughout. It was a pleasure to hike. Maybe
the Plumas and Lassen NF people can come up here and learn how to maintain a
trail??? I was on the official PCT throughout, except for the alternate
route through Stuart Falls. That trail was generally OK, except for a couple
of short section where unchecked erosion has basically turned the trail into
a stream bed.  In southern Crater Lake NP, there is an apparent re-route
happening. Just north of the Union Peak trail junction, where the PCT does a
steepish descent following the old closed jeep road, a newly constructed-
and apparently ready to hike- trail crosses in two places. There is no
confusion as to which way to go; the re-route is blocked off with bright
pink tape.  I would be interested if anyone knew more about this new section
of trail?

One note: the guidebook mentions a shortcut to Mazama CG which follows an
old road from a curve in Hwy. 62 (check your guidebook for the exact
description.) This is hardly a shortcut. The old road is COMPLETELY
overgrown with young lodgepoles which grow about a foot apart from each
other. It was a rough bushwhack for about 500 yds. until I got to a service
road which led to the paved entrance road. Following the highway might be
preferable for a lot of people.

Speaking of Mazama CG, their coin-operated showers were feeling generous the
day I was there. I found one which wouldn't take coins and just turned on.
Enjoyed a 20-min. shower (don't tell the Park Service!).

Water conditions were not all that problematic. If you come equipped with
enough water carrying capacity, you just have to carry a little extra weight
and suck it up.  In addition to the lakes, there was also plenty of water in
the area around Cliff Lake, from the Devils/Lee saddle to Honeymoon Cr. I
loaded up with 6L at Honeymoon Cr. so I wouldn't have to do the 2-mi. round
trip to either Ranger Spring or Jack Spring, so I have no info as to whether
they are producing.

Also, the huckleberries are out in abundance! I got slowed down repeatedly
stuffing my face with them. The best fields were around Christi's Spring and
Red Blanket Creek.

Also also, the mosquitoes were almost non-existent. Brought bug spray, but
never used it. If you ever go to the Sky Lakes, I can strongly recommend
visiting after mid-August.

Judson
Ashland, OR