[pct-l] Just got back from Oregon Section C

Jerry Goller writes:

"Just got back from there . . ."

Hey, Jerry!

We did miss each other, as planned.  Gutsy and I hiked from Willamette Pass to highway 66 near Ashland, July 29 - August 5.  To anyone interested in a ride to the trail from Eugene, let me mention Steve, an employee of Timbers Motel.  We took a Greyhound bus to Eugene, crossed the street to Timbers Motel where we spent the night, then paid Steve $60 for a ride to Willamette Pass early the next morning.  We had made arrangements for a ride to the trail with someone else, but he was not able to help us because of sickness.

Conditions were as you reported, Jerry--very dry, with the exception of rain on August 2 and 3.  We had several hours of rain the night of Aug. 2, at Snow Lake where we were camped, above 6500 feet.  We had a long 27-mile day going southbound from Thielsen Creek to Crater Lake.  We had 16 miles by noon, then stopped for a 2-hour nap & lunch & relief from the sun.  Couldn't resist doing the spur to Watchman firetower, which was pressed into service during this dry spell.  The buffet at Watchman Restaurant was great.

We managed to find four quarters to take advantage of showers at Klum Landing Campground, Aug. 4.  The next day we stayed on the PCT as far as Hyatt Lake, road walked to highway 66, then hitched to Ashland.  Had lunch at Burger King, walked less than 1/2 mile to Greyhound at Mister C's, and within 15 minutes more we were on the southbound bus to Redding, CA.  In Redding we split up, with Gutsy taking a 5:30 p.m. RABA bus to Burney, and me taking a 5:30 bus to SC, via LA, Dallas, etc.  She is now hiking north to Ashland.  I suggested the flip-flop in hopes that she might find more hikers a little farther south.  That has not happened.  She called from Castella area on Sat. and reported seeing only three thru-hikers in four days.  She also told about a frightful incident of losing the trail on Friday in an area recently logged.

Near Mt. McLoughlin on Aug. 3 we had met a Japanese couple, Masa and Tomo, who said they hiked 34 miles in one day, going north into Seiad Valley because of more bears in that area.  Is it true that "bad bears" are relocated to there from other areas?  I am concerned about her safety and, though we are both veterans in dealing with her solo jaunts, I will be relieved when she phones from Seiad Valley.

This report is late because I am still having to use the computer at the library.

Dan