[pct-l] Steri-Pen

Hi,

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Jeff King wrote:
> Yes, well now we are getting some info on the Steri-Pen here!

I havn't used it. But Google is your friend:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/vinandgwen/gear/steripen/results.html

Essentially it works, when the water is clean. (It was designed for tub
water.) But as soon as the water is a little muddy, it does not work. Now
I need filtered water when it is dirty, not when it is clean.
Second, the batteries don't last long enough for an extended hike. (20-30
uses). Third I would be concerned that bugs that live on high altitudes
are UV-resistent.

> I do find it interesting that military types use it, especially when
> its not issued. Not any form of scientific evidence, but more of a
> "gut" endorsement that the gear is worth the cost/weight/hassle.

The military guys volunteered to sign up. Don't think this speaks for
their ability to perform rational thinking. On the other hand they
can rely on having access to prefiltered water, which a backpacker
should not (say, in the desert).

Ilja.