[pct-l] money question

I have not thru-hiked, but from what I have seen and read about how
people resupply, I'd say that most people perpare a food box for
every resupply stop along the way and then prepare a set of detailed
instructions on when to mail each package and leave both the
instructions and packages with a trusted friend or family member for
them to mail according to the instructions.

As far as money spent on the trail, it can vary widely.  Factors
cointributing to the variance are:
- how many restaurant meals you eat (its easy as hell to get into the
habit of eating at a restaurant at every opportunity possible and
even creating opportunities to eat at restaurants instead of trail
food)

- how many hotels/motels you stay in.  Its also very easy to say "i'd
like a real bed and a shower" and then hit the local motel every few
weeks.  If your gear fails (ie: down bag gets soaked), then you may
be forced to get a hotel/motel.

- How well you planned your food re-supplies and how well you are
willing to stick with it. If you get tired of eating corn pasta (or
whatever your staple food is) and you start buying supplemental food
at the grovery store, then you can certainly spend alot more than you
originally anticipated.

- how well your gear holds up, and how well you planned for gear
replacement.  most people go through at least one pair of shoes or
boots on the trail and mail themselves a replacement along the way.
if you dont account for such things or if your tent/bag/clothing
fails, then you may encounter expenses that you didnt expect.

- entertainment/gifts.  you could spend money on gifts, trinkets,
movies, entrance fees to nearby parks or tourist destinations.

- film processing.  many people spend money mailing film back to
their home or to a developer.

- Lastly, of course it depends greatly on how fast you hike.  An 85
day thru-hiker will inherently spend less than a 135 day thru-hiker.

I'd say that its concievable that one could spend as little as $150
on an 85 day thru-hike with no hotels and only modest restaurant
meals (one fast food every week) and no variance from your trail
menu, to as much as $2500-$3500 for people who take 135 days or more
and get frequent hotels and restaurant meals.  It could be even more
if you also replace gear, spend money on gifts/recreation/film.

HTH,
dude