[pct-l] Animal Questions

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am feeling somewhat better, in the sense
that we did what we could and that this encounter was an exception to the
rule. I really appreciate the ideas on prevention, and I really do like the
idea of buying some noise makers in the event of a future encounter(I
suppose if I am really paranoid I could buy an Air Horn).

As for my 2 year old, we use a "modified" Kelty kids carrier, ("modified"
meaning we tweaked it to carry tent, sleeping bags and some other gear in
addition to my son), so when we are on the trail like we were, he's always
on my back. We do stop occasionally and let him stretch his legs, but we
keep him close. He's usally pretty comfortable up there, we did 12 miles in
two days and he didn't really fuss!