[pct-l] Animal Questions

Staven Bruce wrote:

> About a mile out of the camp, something resembling a wild
> boar jumped across the trail in front of us and went into the brush on our
> right

Feral pigs are VERY common in the Santa Cruz mountains and in the area around
Henry Coe state park.  They usually travel in groups of 4-12 animals, and
usually run away when you encounter them.

There is an ongoing pig eradication effort.  This involves the placment of many
large (4 foot tall) traps in remote sections of parks in the coastal ranges.
These traps are not designed to kill -- the idea is that somebody checks the
traps periodically, and then shoots any pigs caught inside.

The most harm I've ever experienced from a feral pig was a sleepless night
caused by loud oinking.

> while what appeared to be four small bob cats who were chasing it(?),
> fanned out and stayed on our left. The animal on our right stopped and was
> growling, while the ones on our left continued to approached. We didn't move
> for a few minutes, and eventually, everyone went their separate ways, and we
> continued on.

I've encountered bobcat kittens exactly once, while cycling on west Old La
Honda road, across the mountains from Portola Valley.  They stopped in front of
me, and began growling in my direction.  I rang a bell, and they scampered off
into the underbrush.

I see adult bobcats about twice a year.  They usually flee as soon as they are
aware of my presence, and I have never had one behave aggressively.

> However, ever since, I've been rather freaked about going back out, and
> especially about taking out 2 year old. I don't really know what to think
> about the whole thing. I've never really thought about carrying anything for
> "defense", not that that would really help, but I'm really kind of spooked.
> Is it a good idea to have some kind of mace type product or something?
> Anyone have any suggestions? Any recommended books I should read? I've never
> carried more than a leatherman, so the idea is pretty new to me. May be I'm
> just overreacting?

If you carry a noisemaker, such as a bell tied to your shoelaces, you will
probably scare away any bobcats in the area.

I would avoid letting young children more than a few feet from the nearest
adult during the period running from about 45 minutes before sunset to about 1
hour after sunrise.

Teaching your children to NOT pick up and cuddle rattlesnakes is also a good idea.