[pct-l] Re: Southern Leg of trail

Howdy everyone,

I am interested in doing some of the lower leg of the PCT.  Starting at
Campo
and going about 50 miles.  Hubby and I have some questions.

1) what is the weather like this time of year?

Hot, Hot, Hot. Count on 65-75 at night and 85-105 during the day. Very
low humidity. No clouds.

2) Water sources?

If you started at Campo, Lake Morena (mile 20) will offer water. It's
the longest dry stretch within the first 50 miles. Going north, water is
likely at Boulder Oaks (mile 26), then about 0.5 miles off trail at
Cibbets Flat CG (mile 32), then at Burnt Rancheria CG (mile 42), then at
Laguna CG (mile 47). If you wanted to hit the 50 mile mark and beyond,
Pioneer Mail (mile 52) has a trough that I think you can filter from.

If you can travel 20 miles a day, I'd pack about 5-6 liters from Campo,
start early, rest in the shade during the hottest part of the day and
finish at Campo in the early evening. It's light at this time of year
until after 8 PM.

3) Is there a transportation system that can get us back to our truck
after
the trail?

I think there's a San Diego angel named Bob, but someone else will have
to help you with this one.

4) Would we have to use bear resistant containers?

No, save the weight for water. Locals usually use standard stuff sacks
or Ursacks - a personal choice. In this area I use a stuff sack and
sleep with it close to me. No problems so far. Usual rodents are around
here - mice, gopher, skunks, raccoons.

--
Mike Maurer