[pct-l] stove debate

Hi all,

* I realize this topic has probably been talked to death, so if anyone can
point me to old posts where I can read about it without disturbing the
current posts, please let me know *

So I am planning on thru-hiking the PCT next year, and am at a loss on the
stove thing.  I am inclined to take my MSR whisperlite, and suck up the
extra ounces because

1.  I already own it and and very familiar with its inner workings
2.  It seems like I will be able to get ahold of white gas or unleaded
gasoline relatively easily in towns for resupply

However, all the MSR liquid fuel stoves (as well as all liquid fuel,
non-alcohol stoves) seem to make lightweighters scrunch up their noses and
point me in the direction of the following options:

1. Esbit stoves: my question is, isn't their boil time quite slow (I like to
eat the occasional pasta dinner, or things that require a sustained boil for
a few minutes), and how annoying is the burned out fuel pellet?  How long
will 2 c. water boil with one pellet?

2. Alcohol stoves: my question is again, the burn time issues, as well as
performance at altitude and fuel efficiency.  If I have to carry 24 oz of
alcohol for 7 days, doesn't that cancel out the extra weight of my MSR, for
which I only need to carry 12 oz. for an equivalent time period?

3.  Canister stoves: my question is, how the heck would I get ahold of the
extra canisters at resupplies?  It does not seem realistic to mail them and
risk the Post Office folks catching me (I asked one if it was legal, and she
gave me a resounding NO), and I know a lot of the resupply towns are very
small, and it does not seem likely they will carry the needed canisters.
Plus, I always found it annoying to carry empty canisters for the remainder
of the hike hike when I have used these in the past.

So, I think I need to be talked out of just using my Whisperlite, but so far
I have not seen any clear reason why I should be.  Can anyone give me a
reason to leave it at home?

Thanks!  Sorry for the long winded post/tired topic.  I am new to the forum
and I have not seen this debate turn up in the last few months.

-Litha