[pct-l] TahoeAdvicePlease

The Tahoe area is fantastic. Motels in the area of the Junction on the way
to Echo Lake are very reasonable if you aren't there Friday or Saturday
night. Campsites normally have a few open spots if you are there early in
the morning. That may leave you out. There are two campsites in town - one
run by the city near the lake and the other near the junction. Probably both
will be full by noon.

I suggest you hike first and do the town at the end. That way you can get
cheap motel rates.  An alternative: go to Pooh Corner near Donner Summit.
Bill and Molly Person are right on a lake (not Tahoe). PMB 154, 11448
Deerfield Dr, Suite 2, Truckee, CA  96161, (530) 587-4485,
bill@billperson.org  (checked daily)
http://BillPerson.org

Hiking in the Desolation Wilderness is great. Many loop trips possible from
Lake Tahoe plus some peaks. Head toward Dicks Pass, Gilmore Lake, Aloha
Lake - also section near Donner Summit. You will need a hiking permit for
most of the area. Tahoe Rim trail too long for 5 days. There are shuttles
running around Lake Tahoe so you can get a ride back to your car. I would
stick to the California side and hike some of the PCT.

Too many people for bear problems.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net