[pct-l] Re: stream crossings & shoes

Regarding stream crossings and what people are sporting these days
while crossing: I prefer taking a pair of sandals for the
crossings. They also double as camp shoes and I occasionally use them
for hiking as well. I've been carrying around a pair of original Chaco
Sandals for years (actually I think mine are pre-Chacos...Geckos?).

I use to take cheap grocery store flip-flops, but you know all those
single pair of flip-flops that lap up along the shore of our pristine
California coastline? Well a couple of those may be mine...sorry. I
blame the Kern River for stealing them off my feet! After learning my
lesson, thrice, I went looking for the perfect sandal; one with a
strap around the heel and no Velcro (okay, so I lost a Teva on their
first test run in Cherry Creek and it's probably still floating with
the logs somewhere on Cherry Lake...I do feel ashamed about this and I
repent by picking up trash whenever I espy it). Nevertheless the
Chacos <or Gecko> have worked for me in the past, but now they've
walked their better days and I need to replace them. The Chacos
produced these days seem a bit heavy; maybe mine are light(er) because
there isn't much of a sole left on them.

Oakley makes a sandal called the Impact Crater which looks like a good
alternative to the heavy Chaco. I haven't yet check it out and I was
hoping to find a pair before I head out for several days
tomorrow. They are expensive. Fortunately I think I can retrieve my
beaten and chewed Chacos from my dog's house (she's an avid collector
of old shoes and occasionally new ones as well) and take them on yet
another final trip.

Dave