[pct-l] Seiad Valley to I-5 near Ashland

I don't like to be the harbinger of doom and gloom, but...

If you are planning to visit Sec. R/A, be forewarned. This year, according
to forest service officials, was the worst in 20 years for blowdowns.

To give you an idea: five friends and I, preparing for an upcoming 50K race,
worked on clearing some of the trail between the CA/OR border and Mt.
Ashland today. Three of us had chainsaws, and we were all experienced, but
it still took us all day to clear 2 mi. of trail.

The Forest Service and BLM are just beginning to hire their crews and
predict that they may not have all trails clear until late July. By that
time, some of the thru hikers will be arriving.

If you get there earlier (not recommended), be prepared for up to 30
blowdowns per mi. in some locations- some up to 3' in diameter, and many
difficult to circumvent.

As for snow, there are drifts above 6500', most of which should be gone in
2-3 weeks if warm weather holds.

Judson Brown
"Pounder"
Ashland