[pct-l] Stealth camping

At 08:46 AM 6/19/03, Steve Courtway wrote:
>IMO, stealth camping on your trek is the difference between hiding from

IMO, stealth camping is the difference between sharing a campsite that was
an hour short of where you could have hiked with 20 boy scouts, an arguing
married couple, and some folks partying and having a private pristine quiet
place at just the range you were capable of hiking that day. Of course,
after a couple of months out in the woods, it is nice to socialize
occasionally.

For the thru hiker, stealth camping is more about sleeping at a place
optimized for distance than at a place optimized for camping. Remember, the
thru-hiker is probably only going to spend 8 or 9 hours there, and most of
those will be in the dark. The thru-hiker is probably not even going to eat
at the place they camp (and better not, in bear country.)

If you want to lounge about in meadows and by lakes, there is no reason you
can't take a break there when the sights are.

I consider both "bivy" pictures from my Colorado Trail hike album to be
"stealth" though the one at san luis pass could be seen for miles.
http://community.webshots.com/album/43419082QEKTef

The bear aspect of stealth camping is an "oh by the way" IMHO

HYOH
Brick