[pct-l] Stealth camping

Hi everyone,
We are planning to stealth camp on our hike from Tahoe to Mt. Whitney, but having never done it, I have a question. How far off trail do we need to go to avoid bears? Do we just need to be quite a ways from the nearest established campsite and a little ways off trail? Any hints for locating a good stealth site? There are three of us, with three tents, so we will need to find fair sized sites. What about above tree-line--are there any soft, comfortable places? Thanks for your help--I don't know how we would have prepared for this hike without the list!
Nancy, for The Women who Run with the Chipmunks