[pct-l] REI

I look at REI and other such stores somewhat differently than some of the
recent postings.

I see REI as the first place city slickers go before their first
camping/hiking/outdoors trip.
Usually these people (pure speculation on my part) buy heavy, big bulk items
to go car camping or for a short hike.  They buy items because they look
cool or on some sort of checklist of items to bring.  Some will only go
hiking/camping only once a year.  They will wear their $400 dollar gortex
jackets around the city/campus/school telling everyone about there wild
adventures in the wilds (yeah right).

But what's wrong with that?
That's how I got started 15 years ago at MEC- Canada's REI.

Many people who to go a National Park, even once, fall in love with it, or
at a minimum appreciate the value of preserving nature, forests and
national/state parks. Just think what is it was like to see Yosemite or your
favorite place for the fist time.  I think the world needs more such people.
  Without them objecting, more and more  clear cutting, mining, roads are
being put through national forests parks etc.  City people will never
appreciate what environmentalist are fighting for, if they are confined to
their concrete jungle.
If REI or other such company can seduce people back into nature, even
briefly, I have to support their efforts.  I do go to REI sometimes, don't
buy much there anymore, but sure glad they are there.
In chicago, the second Eastern Mountain closed close to where I live.

As my sister keeps reminding me, thru hikers are on the lunatic fringe of
the outdoors/hiking community, never mind of society at large.  We can't
expect a main stream store like REI to cater to us exclusively.  Would you
really be happy if all the REI's closed down, and REI moved back to a small
single store in Seattle?

Vive
PCT 00
(PS- I don't work for REI, if they listening call me at 555-1234)