[pct-l] REI - A few random thoughts.

I've been a member of REI since the mid 70's and seen it go through quite a
few changes over the years. I also still drop in from time to time. Usually
after about 10 minutes, I start wondering to myself "why am I here?" Not
that I blame REI for that. If I look at it truthfully I'd have to say I've
changed more than they have.
Most of the equipment I used years ago is still available from REI in its
newer and occasionally lighter version. Granted the stores have gotten
bigger with camping and climbing equipment taking up less floor space. But
then again more space has been allocated to cycling and water sports than
there used to be.
Clothes do take up a significant amount of floor space. Still on average
most normal people by more shirts than packs. Plus they tend to provide
better margins, faster turnover, and fewer returns for warranty repairs. IE
better return for the dollar invested.
For the most part, the employees seem to still be knowledgeable and are
users of the gear they sale. Then again maybe it's just that way here in the
Northwest. I can't say I've spent much time travailing to REI's around the
country. Also I don't know if I'd expect the store personal to be as
knowledgeable in areas more remote from sever outdoor activities. One
probably can't expect to get a lot of mountaineering or ski expertise from a
REI located in Chicago. But they may know more about backcountry canoeing.
I've even got a couple of REI sales people who occasionally send customers
my way when they come in looking for ultralight gear they don't carry.
Do I expect to see them going ultralight some day? Possibly, a lot depends
upon how large this market ultimately becomes. While the trends are good
there are no guarantees.
As far as I can see, REI remains a good and dedicated member of the outdoor
community. I'm not sure what value is gained by trashing them. I suppose if
someone was really concerned with them posting accurate product weights and
such, it would be best to just contact them. However, given the number of
products they carry, the number of variations in products over different
seasons, I'd expect it to be a fulltime job for more than one person just to
keep track of it all.
While the information would be nice, I don't know if I'd want to pay a bunch
more just to get it. Especially since a little digging on the internet will
provide the same information and more.
-Fallingwater