[pct-l] REI Past and Present

One good thing about the new Seattle REI "mothership" - it is just a couple of blocks up the street from the Greyhound station!  Catch a bus at the Chevron? station at Snoqualmie Pass and a hour and a half later you are in the store.  Eat a WorldWrappe, drink a Starbucks, and get back on the bus with all that raingear you didn't need until now.  No need to go downtown and see all the Microsoft ex-millionaires and laid-off Boeing machinists panhandling in front of the Nordstrom's flagship store.

-----Original Message-----
From: judson [mailto:judsonb@internetcds.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:45 PM
To: Montedodge@aol.com; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] REI Past and Present

Yes, yes, REI is basically Starbucks with packstraps, but are our local
outdoor supply stores any different? I have watched both Mountain Supply in
Bend and Ashland Outdoor Store in, um, Ashland go the way of yuppy casual
wear, and these aren't exactly huge conglomerates.

Every store needs to do what it can to stay alive. I would rather wade
through all the non-backpackers and clueless salespersons at REI than have
it attempt to "stay true to its roots" and, as a result, go out of business.

Judson Brown
"Pounder"
Ashland, OR