[pct-l] Snow and Ice Experience

At 07:37 PM 6/10/03, Jean K. Campbell wrote:
>I am from Hawaii and have virtually no experience hiking in snow and
>ice.  I keep reading about glissading and self-arrest and the like.  It
>seems like these and others are very useful skills to have.  Does anyone
>have a suggestion about where I might be able to learn some of this stuff?

Mauna Kea would work fine. I've skied there, and the snow was so hard that
it would have been nice to have an ice axe.....
http://www.hawaiisnowskiclub.com/Mk/ has links to a bunch of stuff
including live cams to show you when snow is there. You can even drive up
and slide down. None of that pesky walking uphill...

If you really want to come over to the mainland, there are no shortage of
places that will teach you basic mountaineering skills

This will get you tons
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22basic+mountaineering+school%