[pct-l] Re: REI

Gosh, I have tried to stay away from the controversies on the list and have done well until now. But I want to put in my two cents for REI. I like the stores, the website and ordering on the telephone most of the time.

One of the reasons:

I only started backpacking a few years ago and had no boots. I asked a sales clerk about my size whom he would buy boots from, and he told me the name of someone in customer service. I made an appointment with the fellow who spent four hours helping me find a pair of boots. I still have the boots. REI has re-soled one of them at no cost to me, when after two years, I had a problem.

I've had similar experiences buying packs and other gear. The salespeople in the Berkeley, CA store know me and my hiking and backpacking style and there are many of them in the store who are experts in the back country.

There's a sales clerk in the San Carlos, CA store who is 74 years old and just completed a two week canoe trip in Alaska. He and others in the store are very knowledgeable.

The REI stores sell clothes and many, many other things. I've run into some clerks who are stupid, uninformed and unwilling to please. But they are the exception.

Another example of good service, and I'll quit. I wanted XL down booties. The sales clerk searched the rack and two places in the store room. When I suggested another brand, he said, "No, you've chosen the best and they're cheaper than the others. I'll find them for you." He helped me order them on the telephone. They arrived two days later.

I like REI a lot. And I'm sorry if others have had a bad experience there.

Peace,
Jim

2004 Wannabe