[pct-l] thru-hiking in 2005

You asked about hiking with your dog on the PCT.  By now you may know that
dogs are forbidden on many parts of the PCT,  including the National Parks.  I
believe there are only one or two miles on the AT where dogs are not allowed,
in one State Park as I recall, and that edict is routinely ignored by the
long-distance hikers.

Your alternatives on the PCT are to either skip the NP's or arrange for
transport of your dog around the parks.  The first choice is pretty much
unacceptable, and the second is a real hassle.  I suggest you leave your dog at home.

Your pet may love hiking, but many do not share our enthusiasm for
20-plus-mile days.  I have seen some really miserable dogs on the trail, whose only
motivation is to try to keep up with their often thoughtless humans until they
drop.  Be particularly mindful of your dog's condition in the desert areas where
both heat and thorns can be very damaging.  Good luck, and enjoy your hike!