[pct-l] Re: Stevens to Stehekin

Again for David, going from Stevens to Stehekin.  We camped at Fire Creek
Pass for two nights, on a shelf above the pass.  When we descended the next
morning, we didn't like the steep snow through which the trail passed.  So,
we found the low point of the pass and plunge-stepped down to the first rock
island.  We repeated that, from rock island to rock island, until we got
down to a milder grade of steepness, where we picked up the trail and
continued to Mica Lake.  Perhaps that was not the "pure" way to hike the
trail, but we felt it was the safest at the time.  I remember Fire Creek
Pass as one of the most beautiful places I have been. On the first morning
of our camp, I sat on a rock looking out over ridge after ridge into the
distance.  The sunrise was glorious, and the memory of that moment will stay
with me into my old age, when I cannot physically go there anymore, but I
will be able to go there in my mind whenever I want.  I can even smell the
crisp air, feel the newborn sun on my cheeks, and hear the trickle of water
running out of the snow field nearby.  Rocks sparkled with mica up there.  I
want to go back.

Lindy