[pct-l] PCT: Steven's Pass to Stehekin?

In a normal snow year (and this is one) the snowpack should be reduced to
semi permanent snow fields by mid July. You will almost certainly walk on short
stretches of snow almost any year in mid July in Glacier Peak Wilderness. I
would carry an ice ax, but that's just me and my mountaineering instincts at
work. So what if you carry an extra pound for nothing. But hey, people aren't
exactly dropping like flies in the mountains. You can fret and worry and spend
hours biting your nails (and I'm not saying that you are) about a trail that
thousands do safely each and every year or you can just do it. Don't make it out
to be more than it is my general advice (and not specifically aimed at you
because I have no idea at all of your fear factor). Doing Stevens to Stehekin even
with a solid snowpack ain't exactly like climbing Mt. Rainier. Having helped
with a mountaineering class for many years, I have seen people worry
themselves out of acheiving a goal while watching others do what they could easily do
with just a bit of confidence. You know the saying: attitude is everything. A
can do attitude is an extemely valuable asset, in my opinion.
  On another note, guess what special interest groups are trying in Colorado?
They are trying to argue in court that right of ways for cattle drives in the
1870's are justification for putting roads- paved or otherwise- through
designated wilderness areas. Enjoy the solitude while you still can,because someday
the special interest groups just might win. They keep trying. Most likely
wilderness areas will become National Parks where the rules are quite different
and developement is allowed. There's lots of money to be made in N/P's. Not so
for wilderness areas