[pct-l] Digital Camera Batt's

Tom,

When I bought my digital camera a couple years ago
I did a test on the batteries to see just how long
they would last, for the intent of taking it on a
week long hike.

With a full charge on the 4 nicad batteries I took
150 photos /w flash of the kitchen floor. The charge
meter was closer to the top than the bottom when I
became bored and stopped.

Ok, so that's not the most scientific test, but it is
one you can try with your camera to get an idea what
kinda life the batteries have.

If you use a set of lithium non-rechargable batteries
you'll probably get MANY pictures. If I was going to
take a digital camera on a thru hike, lithium batt's is
what I'd use. You'd probably need no more than 2 sets
for say, 500 photos. This is a complete 'guess',
though.

You'll probably find that your real limitation is the
memory card, depending on the resolution you use.

With all that said, I used disposable camera's on the
PCT, they only weigh about 3oz. :)

Scott Parks

> On my late summer section hike in the Washington
> Cascades, my hiking partner
> want to bring his digital camera but is afraid he
> will use up his batteries
> before the end of the section. Has anyone used a
> solar recharger on their
> hikes? (Of course, having a solar recharger could be
> a big mistake in the
> cloudy Pacific NW.) Any brands to recommend or
> avoid? Thanks,

---
Art       : http://stillroaming.tripod.com/art
Hiking    : http://stillroaming.tripod.com/pct