[pct-l] Introduction-Looking for advise

Hello all,
My name is Gabe. I am 21 and live in Eugene, OR. I'm a rather inexperienced backpacker but the PCT has peaked my interest. I would like to attempt it possibly in 2005 but probably 2006. For this summer though, I think I may end up with about a week off of work and was wondering where a good place to do a "3 day in 3 day out" trip would be. I want to try and cover 75 miles one way to see exactly what it takes to do that. I was thinking maybe a section of the PCT that runs through the Mt. Jefferson wilderness area. Any suggestions or general advise is welcome. Thanks.
-Gabe