[pct-l] backpacker overflow site at TM

I stayed at the Tuolumne Meadows backpackers area in late July of last year and had a pleasant experience. I arrived late, but didn't have a problem finding a good camping spot. Lots of friendly people around. Not much noise in spite of the large number of campers in the area. Well worth the $5. Just bring the correct amount, since they use self-pay boxes.
-Ron

Becki,
I just spoke with the campground folks here in
Yosemite to confirm this:
You can count on getting sites at the backpackers area
in Tuolumne Meadows CG.  However, the cost is $5/per
person.  Since there are six of you, I'd suggest
checking back for a cancellation in the main
campground.  The person I spoke with said to keep
checking up to the day before you leave.  Also, half
the CG is on a first/come first/served "walk up"
system, so if you were to get here early in the day,
you can still try for a regular site.
check the web site at http://reservations.nps.gov, or
call 1 800 436 7275.
Have a great hike!