[pct-l] failure of grapefruit seed extract to kill germs

I am catching up on my reading, and I came across a report at a recent CDC
meeting on infectious diseases (Atlanta, 31Mar - 4Apr 2003) that concerns
the failure of grapefruit seed extract for sanitizing.

I know that some list members recommend using grapefruit seed extract for
purifying water.

In Feb 2002, there was an outbreak of a skin disease caused by the bacteria
Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Colorado.

The outbreak was traced to a salon using body wraps. Their method of
sanitizing the wraps was washing in cold water with grapefruit seed
extract. The bacteria was found in the wraps after they had been
"sanitized." So, at least in this application, grapefruit seed extract
didn't kill the bacteria. The CDC recommended washing the wraps in hot
water, soap and bleach, or not reusing them.

Since cystic protozoa like Giardia and Crypto are much more difficult to
kill chemically than bacteria, I think this outbreak of infectious disease
traced to this failure of grapefruit seed extract to kill bacteria is a
pretty good indication that it is NOT a good way to treat water.

Caveat Emptor
Brick