[pct-l] RE: down or synthetic

I was weary of down, but tried it a bit (3-week trip) and decided to
carry it on my thru-hike.  It was great.

As you probably know, synthetic is heavier and bulkier than down.  I got
a Western Mountaineering Ultralite (20/25 degree, 1lb 12oz).  It was
expensive, but worth every penny.
I slept out all but maybe 10 nights. Its shell is water resistant, so
even a night of dew was not a big problem.  I'd just haul out the bag a
lunch and let it dry.  On the one day I couldn't do that, we built a
fire in an early camp. I'd use the bag as a quilt on all but the most
cold or windy nights.  I might have been able to get by with a 25/30
degree bag, but I liked knowing I could be toasty.

One trick to using down is avoiding moisture.  One of my criteria for
selecting a sleeping site was to be under a tree.  Many times I'd sleep
out under a tree and be dry while people in the open with tents would be
wet, or even soaked (from dew and condensation).
That said, we had very little rain last year.  I'd still do down again.

Another brand to consider is Feathered Friends.  I've heard the
Hummingbird is good for a thru-hike.

John B./Cupcake

>I am looking into getting a new, lightweight sleeping bag and I was
>wondering if anyone who has hiked the PCT has strong opinions on down
or >synthetic bags for this trail.  familiar with the weather condition