[pct-l] Several questions concerning a first attempt

I can respond to some of these questions and many have been already answered
previously. First, though, you must be warned that if you are just now
planning, you have cut your time very short. Most through hikers will be
starting next week-end from Campo. And most have planned for months,
although that really isn't necessary, especially if you have the gear.

1. Umbrellas - in the wind they don't work so well, but I used one and was
very glad to have it. In the South, it did provide shade when there was
none. Wind was only sometimes a big problem. You still need a hat. Using
Mylar really will help. In the North, it worked fine to keep the drizzle
off. Didn't use it in the High Sierras. I now hike with one.

2. Filters - some opt for a bandana and iodine or bleach. Otherwise, some of
the inline filters work OK, but they all clog up. Bad water is mainly a
problem in Southern California., some of Northern California, and Southern
Oregon.

3. Tarp weather: most camping spots will be under trees or in the desert.
There can be storms, but not often. In the North in Sept/Oct expect rain -
but normally without high winds. Only above tree line will you find barren
areas. Still, probably no rain and no wind.

4. Sleeping bag: I like 800 down, like Feathered Friends bags (I used the
Swallow). They are costly, but they are very light, compressible, and warm
enough. There are others on the market.

5. North to South - July is often too early to start because snow tends to
stick around until after the 4th of July in Washington and Oregon. But, who
knows. It is still cool and rainy, with snow at higher elevations right now.
The snowpack was low, but still. Route finding can be a big problem. But,
people do it. Depends on your skills. Realize, you may reach the High Sierra
when the snow could begin.

Going from South to North starting late May, also puts you into
Oregon/Washington late when the rains and cold weather are present. Going
past mid October is taking a chance. Trail angels in the South may be able
to help you with water in May/June.

Good luck. This is your hike, so you need to enjoy it.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@attbi.com