[pct-l] Donahue After a snowstorm

--
 Perhaps Donahue is one of the safer passes compared to Forester and the
others , BUT ater a two foot dump of fresh snow and being able to see only 50
ft. ahead , it gets. less safe. We could have stayed put an extra day , but
with only two beef bouillon cubes left in my pack and less than 20 miles to
the road, we pushed on. The only maps we had were in our 1973 guide book .
Luckily, the clouds opened up and we could see the gap where we thought the
pass was. There were a few rock cairns to follow, but many were covered.
   From the top of the pass the clouds opened again and we could see the
trail far below ( Going North) The guy I was hiking with decided to just drop
straight down off the pass to where he could see the trail. He went maybe 20
yards before he stepped on a large piece of granite slab and was on his way
down hill in a hurry.
   So in this case, Donahue wasn't all that safe. I would say each person's
experience with the Sierras and the time of year they go bends their
judgement. If the Sierras were warm and melting out when you went through,
you may have a harder time picturing them in a 2 foot snowstorm. I remember
seeing several days that the temp never climbed above freezing even at noon.
One those days my crampons were worth their weight in gold. ( No chopping
steps, just walk up like fly paper) Stubi and Cassin both make nice light
Alum. ultralight crampons. If you leave K.M. before June 15th, these may be a
nice option.
    Most folks go without crampons , but most also take an ice axe. I would
shoot for a long model that fits your hands palms with pick on the ground. (
This is best of general treking) Don't be sold on those short handle axes .
They offer less support when you stick their short shaft in the snow and are
much more likely to " Gore" you in a bad fall than a longer model. The new
titanuim models and even sveral Alum. are quite light.