[pct-l] ice ax

At 03:15 PM 4/11/03, dude wrote:
>As far as saying uncategorically that hikers will not need ice axes
>in late june or early july, I would suggest something slighly less
>certain.

I will say something certain:

If you fall on a steep snowy section without an axe you will probably die.
At least one thru-hiker I know of did exactly that. Trekking poles don't
cut it. The guy who died had trekking poles.

There is no way of knowing when you leave Kennedy Meadows on a typical thru
hiker schedule what the conditions ahead will be, a few days either way can
make a huge difference, as can the weather and time of day you cross the pass.

If you guess wrong, and elect to continue into the snow, a small slip could
result in a funeral. There is also often no easy lateral way out without an
axe due to the steep east face of the Sierra, and the long distances for
egress to the west.

If you are leaving KM in June, bring an axe, and know how to use it.

YMMV and this does not apply for a JMT trip after mid July.

--
Brick Robbins

The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.