[pct-l] The Incredible Aura of the ADZPCTKO

--
Coming up the north side of Hauser Canyon, 17 miles into the day . . . "My
colleagues went ahead as I slowly came up to my pace. One was a close,

"As we approached the pass, friends coming up from Lake Morena greeted us
with good cheer and camaraderie; Marge (the self-described "old gal" . . .)
her daughter, and a friend  . . . , and a few other familiar faces from last
year's gathering, or was it the one before?"

"The trail wound on and on mercilessly, around knobs and out onto ridges,
before it allowed us to descend to the lake that had been visible for a
couple miles. As we neared the lake the sound of laughter, conversation, and
the motions of a couple of hundred people emanated up from the campground
where the 4th Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail gathering (ADZPCTKO) was
about to begin."

"Even if you hike only the first stretch of the PCT, you'll find much beauty.
Sometimes you have to look a bit harder than other times, like in the cold
rain, but it is there. Oh, and you'll find good people there also, some of
the best."

from "It All Starts With A Single Step" by Greg Hummel, Adventure 16
Footprints, Winter 2002 -2003

Last year I hiked a section of the trail that didn't exist when I thru-hiked
years ago, from the border to Lake Morena.  It was a cold and rainy day,
unusual for the ADZ.  The high desert biota glistened in the rain and showed
a side that isn't seen often here.  Muscles pumping the elevation staved off
the cold, even wearing shorts.  The light rain soaked our nylon layers and
threatened the temperature balance anytime we rested.

The ADZ crowd huddled around campfires in what looked like a Frogg Toggs
commercial. Thru-hikers aren't even phased by a bit of light rain, even the
novices just starting out.

The next day the early light showers gave way to overcast and cool but clear
conditions for the main events.  I've ordered better weather this year.
Meadow Ed is the weather master, I just asked him and he said it wouldn't be
any problem!

Greg