[pct-l] Re: PCT Grizzlies

> 1975 found fresh grizzly paw prints in snow just south of the border when
he

> >   In 1991 ,my bother an I found Grizzly Tracks near Mt. Saint Helens as
we
> > found an 11 inch rear foot tracks in flesh snow. I have seen a ton of
black

Are you sure you were looking at grizzly tracks? Here's the NPS description
of how to tell the difference, from http://www.nps.gov/noca/bear.htm :

      "DIFFERENTIATING BLACK AND GRIZZLY BEAR TRACKS

Biologists use front tracks to distinguish bear species. You can do the same
when you are out in the wilderness. Establish a line through the lowest
point of the outside toe and the highest point of the palm pad. Notice that
the black bear's inside (right) toe is mostly below the line, while the
grizzly bear's is above the it. The rear foot on both species looks the
same. "