[pct-l] JMT - 3 Questions

> Can anyone tell me what kind of facilities Onion Valley
> campground offers?

See
http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/ca/onio/newindex
.html .
Primitive. About half the sites are walk ins, and the other have small
parking pads. There's some chemical toilets and water. I don't know about
trash removal. Bears are a problem.

> Showers?

No, but there should be some to buy in Independence 13 road miles down the
hill.

> Are the roads there pretty decent?

Their all right, but the last few miles are steep, narrow, and hairpin
curves. Trailers not recommended.

> What about permits and canisters? Can they be picked up in
> Bishop? Do you need to get the permits in advance and where
> would one call?

I usually pick up my permits at the Mt Whitney Ranger Station in Lone Pine.
See http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/inyo/vvc/wild_permits/permits.htm for permit
info. Reservations would be a good idea.

> And about the weather in September?

What about it <grin>? It can be quite nice, although the smaller streams may
be dry. Then again, an early snow storm is always possible.

AsABat