[pct-l] Identification at the Canadian Border

--
In a message dated 3/27/2003 10:58:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
marge@prothman.com writes:

> Unless I have missed it, I have not seen any discussion on what people are
> taking with them for identification to get into Canada and return to the
> States.
>
> Last year a number of people were met by Canadian Immigration between the
> monument and Manning Park.

I know there are forms you can fill out prior to your hike and have them send
back someplace on the trail, but that seemed like too much work.  Also, I've
never contacted Canadian Immigration for fear they'd say no!

Last year getting back into the country at the Montana border I had a state
drivers license and a birth certificate.  The BC was more instrumental in the
ease I re-entered then the DL as it proved my citizenship.  I would think a
passport would be as equally effective.

On the PCT I re-entered the US in a car registered in the states with a DL
and that was all that I needed.  However, that was pre 9/11.  I've been told
that entering by bus or train can be a real pain, so bring a DL and a BC
and/or maybe a PP.

Sly