[pct-l] Weapons on the trail?

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

>My latest thought is to carry a 20" curved machete sticking out of my
bag.  I've heard people saying they were thinking about bringing a 45 magnum.
I've been a vegetarian all my life, have never killed an animal and the idea
of
hunting enrages me.  I just don't want to be stupid.  Every animal in the
woods
has their particular defenses, why shouldn't we?<

Dennis,
The mind is definately the best defense for avoiding bear encounters.  True,
black bears are well equipt to inflict serious damage on us "naked apes"
should the need arise, but there is no reason to think they will attack.  I've
had roughly 10 close (i.e. 10-40 feet) bear encounters in the past 5 years and
only one of them was an aggressive encounter and was entirely my fault.
Here's my advice.  Leave the machete and handgun home and follow a few simple
rules.
1) Clap your hands when entering dense vegetation
2) Never cook in camp
3) Keep food and cookstuff far away from camp;  I made the arrogant mistake of
hanging my food directly over my tarp one night so I could "scare off" any
invading bears.  Sure enough, one came and circled my tent for hours.
Needless to say I felt like a burrito.
4) Stealth camp; although the above situation (#3) occured while stealth
camping
5) Never approach a bear;  This was my only agressive encounter.  Trying to
get a close photo in Sequoia, the bear charged, but I held my ground (i.e. I
froze) and the bear stopped within 10 feet, hissed, threw some dirt, and then
took off.  To this day I wish the bear had taken a bite for my stupidity.
6) Never run or stare the bear in the eyes.  Rather, hold your ground and look
off to one side.  This is bear for, "I'm not looking for a fight, but I'm also
not afraid".

Bears encounters are one of the greatest parts of hiking in my opinion.
Arming oneself only encourages human arrogance which leads to encounters.
Respect the bear and it will respect you.  Hope this helps.  Peace, Ed

Protect your PC - Click here[1] for McAfee.com VirusScan Online