From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ben Schifrin
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:34 AM
To: dmshoes@msn.com
Cc: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Pacific Crest Trail Map A-4 & Other Stuff

>The caption under map A-4 on page 73 indicates that the section shown
>on the map is no longer in use. However the the route that is drawn on
>maps A-3 thru A-5 would indicate that this section is still current.
>Also, as far as I can see the text is consistant with the route shown.

Hi, thanks for the comment.

This is typical of the mistakes you are going to find in the new book. The
new managers of Wilderness Press are not hikers, have very little guidebook
editing experience and don't know how to read maps.

I did not make the addendum that you see on page 73. Of course, the trail in
the northwest corner of Map A4 IS the current route. I had told the editor
to combine A3 and A4, since the VERY OLD route that used to go up Cameron
Road in A4, had not been used for over 20 years.

The editors did not want to update any of the maps. They said, "too much
money". You will note that there are many places where the old maps don't
jibe with the new prose. To add insult to injury, they didn't make galley
proofs available to us for prepress review (as WP always had for the
previous 25 years), so we weren't able to pick up these errors at the last
hour.

As always, I'll be rehiking the trail this April & May, and will come out
with a Supplement of changes for the 2004 season. I don't have too much of
immediate  concern for this year, that has not already been mentioned on
this list: a. The big fire in the northern Cuyamacas and San Felipe Hills.
b. Possible loss of the water tank at Chihuahua Valley Road. c. Change in
ownership of the hotel at I-15. d. Saufleys in Agua Dulce are up and
running, as always-- they didn't want extra press, in the guidebook. e. The
Old Jack Fair Place is again available. f. Country Store is buns-up.

It looks like a good water year for So Cal, and a slightly easier snow year
for the Sierra. Mid-summer water north of Truckee is going to be thin, but
doable.

As always, please direct any comments on the Guide directly to me, so I
might respond faster and in more detail. And if any of you need help with
logistics around Sonora Pass, please give me a call-- I'm about an hour
away, which is about as close as anyone lives to the Pass.

Thanks,
--
Ben Schifrin
Wilderness Press