[pct-l] Trekking Poles

I am looking for feedback on trek poles for my 03 through hike.  I am going
light and would love to have my hands free to do other things (ie: play
harmonica, hold umbrella, etc.).  I have had problems with my left knee
though (dislocated my knee cap in rock climbing) and am a little worried
about the stress on it over the many miles, especially on down grades.  How
much do they help take the impact off the leg joints?

You guys rock

Jason