[pct-l] Fan Letter (was safewater filters)

The rules say take a water filter, so take one if you think following the
rules will make you safe. I prefer decisions over rules, and my decision,
after much thought and reading is that I don't need to treat water because I
am immune. According to the literature I have read, SOMEBODY out there is
immune. Why not me? Now you will just have to get in a long, long line of
people who are just dying to say I told you so if and when I ever come down
with giardia. In the mean time you will just have to be chagrined that I
don't choose to follow your advice. Like I said, I don't want anybody
"mentally" poisoning for me what is, in actuality, some of the purest water
on Earth (Sierras and Cascades).
Besides if something is "mentally" poisoned then it really makes no
difference if giardia actually is present.  Water quality could actually be
undermined if people get the attitude that since the water is contaminated
already, why put in the effort to keep it clean?