[pct-l] Water Filters

Sam wrote:<< Has anyone hiked the PCT using Jardine's method of just using a
filter element?  I recently tried a gravity system using the PUR Hiker and
found the output to be amazing!  I can't see why one would take along the
pump body, as the flow was faster without the pump.>>

In '94 Chuck (Igor) and I used the Jardine method with a water bag and
filter element.  We found that the disadvantages _far outweighed_ any
advantage that the reduced system weight had:

1. The wait for the gravity-fed system was longer than we eventually had
patience for - I seem to remember clogging (even with a pre-filter) and just
interminable waiting for water.  The output was far less than "amazing."

2.  Not all water sources have convenient hanging places like tree branches
nearby (for the gravity feed to work).

3.  When we hiked there were no water caches in areas like San Felipe Creek
or the Kelso Valley spring.  Having to dip out many cups of water from a
small desert trickles into the water bag, THEN having to wait for the
gravity feed to work became incredibly annoying - especially while watching
others pump water relatively easily.

I also remember another water source near Trail Pass where the springs are
in deep crevices in a meadow - you actually need a pump and intake tube to
access the water conveniently.

YMMV, of course -

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold

-----