[pct-l] snow/water

----------
> From: JoAnn M Michael <jomike@snowcrest.net>
> To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
> Subject: [pct-l] snow/water
> Date: Saturday, February 15, 2003 8:26 AM

> --
> Article in local newspaper advises extreme northern CA is in best shape
snow/water content wise in many years. Thank heavens, we were a gnats eye
brow away from a real drought. Though snow levels were down, water content
was up.

> Of the  five places where samples were taken in the Klamath National
Forest the water content was anywhere from 108% to 192% of average.

> JoAnn

I am reading very different percentages - with the snow water equivalent as
of today being only 53 % of average in the Klamath basin (10 sites
reporting;); 74% total precip pf average.  The highest site at 6200 feet
has 15 inches snow water equivalent, which means about 30 inches of snow.
I have figured that about 1`5 inches of snow melt in a month with average
temperatures like in May or June.

I was using the following site:
	http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/sno_narr3_pl
the first part of the report is an overview and then each state and each
drainage is detailed .

Joanne