[pct-l] re: Oregon Resupply

Goforth,
Elk Lake was taking packages last year.  You could phone them up -- they
were really helpful when I phoned last year, and were upset to find that the
town guide author had mistakenly written that the entire resort had burned
down (a bit of fact-checking would have confirmed that a cabin did burn
down, but not the resort).  They have a great diner, and very good ice
cream.  I spent an afternoon laying on the pier in the sun.

Cascade Summit -- good coffee, no charge for holding packages, and a fire
pit that was going all afternoon to warm us up (it was pretty cold when I
went through).  It's not far off the trail, and you can hike the road up to
where the PCT continues past the highway to avoid backtracking (if you're
not a purist).  There's a pay phone there as well.  Not much in the resupply
area (mainly a bait and tackle shop), but you can get HEET for you stove if
you need it.  If you have a large group, the cabins could work out to be a
good deal.

Ollalie was very easy to send to and pick up from.  There was a small fee.
They had a register and a store, with a nice porch.  LOTS of great swimming
in the lakes just before Ollalie Lake.

Also, my experience is that when it says "UPS" that also means they will
take FedEx as well.  Never had a problem with that, and used FedEx because
it worked out to be cheaper in most cases (discount through work).

Iron Chef

*********
I am still planning on finishing the PCT this year with my horse.
Does Elk Lake still accept packages?
What is the straight skinny on Cascade Summit?
Has anybody sent a package to the resort on Crescent Lake?
Ollalie?
When I thruhiked in '99, it was a goood snow year for Oregon. What I
remember was lots of snow near Crater lake mid August, And a big snowfield
North of mt. Jefferson in October. Devil's Peak area would be a little dicey
with a steed also, ditto Thielson. Looks like a lot less snow so far this
year in Oregon and parts of Washington. I realize that snow seaon is not
over yet, but when might I expect a snow free PCT through Oregon. I thought
about doing the PCT from Government Meadows south first to give other areas
time for the snow to melt - hoping to start south abou mid July.
Goforth