[pct-l] Re: Bears in general, (not canisters):)

Samuel wrote:

You see, I am paranoid about one thing and that is
bears.mostly at night. :) I am even contemplating taking some bear spray
even though I have been told it's not worth the weight.  I would just
like
to hear about any encounters with bears farther north.  Should I take
bear
spray?

As Ron already mentioned, black bears (the bears on the PCT) are
generally shy and not aggressive toward people.  The two situations
where a black bear might become aggressive are a) if you try to take
food away from one, or b) if you mess with a mother's cubs.  It's pretty
easy to avoid doing either one of those things, so black bears aren't
much of a threat.

(The bear situation in the Sierras is different because they've been
trained to think of hikers as a food source, thus the argument about
sleeping with food in your tent.  But that's not nearly as much of a
problem in Oregon and Washington.)

I don't know exact statistics, but I'm pretty sure that more hikers get
injured or killed in car accidents on the way to or from the trail than
are injured or killed by bears.  The real, objective risk is very low.
It's just more frightening in many people's minds because it's
unfamiliar.

I really don't think that bear spray is worth the weight on the PCT.
Just keep your food away from your tent, and bears will have absolutely
no reason to bother you.  But hey, if it gives you peace of mind, then
maybe it _is_ worth it.  Not to defend against bears, but to let you to
sleep well at night.

Eric