[pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

Yogi and all-

Since my name got thrown into this bear slobber, here's my 2 cents.

While I won't lobby for it, I believe that what Tom proposes could happen in
the near future. Inyo, in particular, is already very particular about bear
cans. I've had run ins with them when I HAD a bear can because they didn't
think it'd fit in my little G4 pack.

As no one had answered Richard's question, I posted a response about 4 hours
ago addressing both the legal view and the practice of many thru-hikers in a
nonconfrontational way.

Now, I personally would never sleep with my food, and I don't care what
others do, but I hope bears don't start storming tents because food might be
inside. I still have an old pup tent in my garage which, at Charlotte Lake
at midnight in 1981, I quickly modified with my pocket knife to add a rear
door when a bear decided to knock on the front door, even though my food was
up in a tree.

Best of luck to the Class of 2003, from a member of the class of 2014. And,
Tom, congrats on your acknowledgement in the new (6th) edition of the PCT
Guide for Southern California.

Peace,
AsABat
(Heading out to do Section F this weekend (Thursday through Monday). If
anyone's interested contact me OFFLIST by Tuesday.)