[pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:19:25 -0800, you wrote:

>Horse Sh!T.
>
>What do you think, I don't backpack? My 1 pound 12 ounce Wild-Ideas Canister
>is larger than a Garcia and fits very well into my 3000 ci Kelty Cloud. If
>you are planning a 2700 mile hike and can't solve this problem, don't
>bother.
>
>Food goes into a canister. If the food don't fit repack it or don't take it.
>I wrote an artical that was posted on the PCTA and used as the basis for the
>Inyo instructions. Read it! If you are planning a 2700 mile hike and can't
>solve this problem, don't bother.
>
>You guys are finally pissing me off enough to take action.
>
>Tom

Wow, that is a lot of hostility.

Your $245.00 Bearikade bear can https://www.venturalink.net/~rjp/purchase.htm
And your $550.00 +  Kelty Cloud Pack must have  worked well for you on all of
the hikes that you have used it on.   That's great.. I'm happy for you.   No
need to cuss at me though.

I some how doubt that your average through hiker is using a Kelty Cloud and a
titanium bear can.

I am not  a PCT through hiker this year.. but perhaps in 2016 I will be.  By
2016 I think the technology will have changed a bit so I won't rush out and buy
my gear for that just now.. :)

At present I have a 2.7 pound $70.00 Garcia Machine bear can and a $160.00 REI
morningstar backpack that I have modified to weight about 3.5 pounds.   I bought
my pack with my bear can in mind as not all the lighter womens packs in the
store (REI in Seattle) would accommodate one.

 I backpack in the Ozette triangle http://www.nps.gov/olym/wic/dozlo.htm where
"all food, garbage and scented items must be stored in hard-sided containers
such as bear canisters"   http://www.nps.gov/olym/wic/food.htm#brfc .

I used my bear can a lot last summer and I can honestly say that I HATE IT!  I
saw a lot of people lashing their bear cans to the outside of their packs.

Shawnie