From: Slyatpct@aol.com [mailto:Slyatpct@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 5:55 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; reynolds@ilan.com
Subject: Re: [pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

In a message dated 2/9/2003 8:35:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

No it is not possible legally. You cannot enter Inyo National Forest between
Tully Hole [south of Red's Meadow] and Donahue Pass without a bear canister.
I suspect that this order is poorly worded because it is probably based on a
"proper food storage" rule. However, that is how it is worded.

That's foolish.  You (well, maybe not you) could easily hike from VVR to
Reds Meadow (which had/has bear boxes) to some point beyond Donahue Pass.

Where have they removed the bear boxes or implemented bear cannister
requirements since '99 that a thru-hiker can't reach?

Sly