[pct-l] shoes - New Balance

I LOVE the New Balance 830's and 904's.  I used 830's from Campo to KM, and
904's from KM to Manning.  Never got a blister.  If there is a New Balance
store near where you live, go there, talk to the clerks, and tell them what
you want.  Don't let them sell you a trail runner or something heavy.  You
want running shoes.  They do know what they're doing regarding fit, but
they'll think running shoes aren't appropriate for your purpose.  Tell them
what you want, then let them fit you.  They know their shoes much better
than the high school kid working weekends at Just For Feet.

New Balance makes some GREAT lightweight, totally breathable shoes that are
perfect for south of KM.   I HIGHLY recommend wearing the most breathable
running shoes you can find for this section (check out New Balance 729=92s,
730=92s or 830=92s).  This section is simply too hot to wear anything leath=
er,
goretex, or other non-breathable shoe.  Don't buy anything with waterproof
or water repellent stuff.  You want something so light that when the wind
blows strong, you can feel it through your socks.  The sand in the desert
really is that hot.  Only wear one pair of thin liner socks.  No smartwools=
,
no thorlos.  Thin socks.  HOWEVER, when you try your desert shoes on, wear
wool socks.  The thickness of the wool socks will make your feet seem as bi=
as they'll be after 2-3 days on the trail.  The shoes you wear as you walk
north from Mexico should be at least one size bigger than you wear now.
Your feet are gonna swell a lot!!  I watched hikers cut the toes out of
their shoes before Idyllwild (mile 180), cause their shoes didn't fit
anymore.

Switch to something more sturdy at Kennedy Meadows (check out New Balance
904=92s, 805=92s or 804=92s). You need good tread on your shoes for the Hig=
Sierra snow.  I chose 904's because the tread looked better to me than the
804's or 805's.  They're really comfortable, but I suggest replacing the
insoles with something like Spenco hiker insoles.  The factory insoles will
only last about 60 miles before the ball of the foot is completely flat.  I
saw a catalog with New Balance 806's.  That's a new one.  I have no
experience with those.  Never even seen them.

Don=92t buy a bunch of shoes now so you can =93break them in=94. Running sh=
oes
don=92t have to be broken in, and your feet are going to swell so much that
your second, third, fourth pair of shoes won=92t fit you when you need them=
.
Figure out what shoes you like, then be sure you have 800 numbers or
websites where you can order them when you need new shoes. There aren=92t a=
ny
places along the PCT to buy new shoes (except in Agua Dulce using the
Saufley's jeep or in Ashland). You=92d have to hitch far away to a town, th=
en
try to find something.  During my hike, I ordered New Balance shoes from
Kansas City, Chicago, and Tampa FL.  When I did a web search from a trail
town when I needed new shoes, these were the places that had the best
prices.

I used 6 pair of New Balance on my PCT hike:  two each of NB 830's from
Campo to KM, then four each of NB 904's from KM to Manning.  My suggestion
is to purchase two pair of shoes:  one to start with at Campo and one to be
mailed to KM.  Then, order more when you need them and have them shipped to
the next trail town.  BE SURE that the place you order them from will ship
PRIORITY MAIL.  Don't let them ship UPS, cause post offices won't accept
those packages.  PRIORITY MAIL is the only way you should ever ship anythin=
on the trail.

I wish you a blister-free hike!!

yogi

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3D3963