[pct-l] Rule enforcement.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." You can
require someone to carry a bear can, but you can't make sure it's used
properly. If it isn't used properly why bother to have one. Enforcement would
be quite intrusive, requiring searches of tents as well as packs. That's the
main reason I oppose cans -- it simply won't work and leads to bad feelings
between management and users. Once they start requiring you to have a piece
of gear, there is no telling where it will end, especially when the safety
freaks get involved. The 10 or 12 or 20 essentials may be required to be
carried.  They used to do it if you wanted to climb Rainier until some smart
assed laywer took them to court. One man's essential is another man's burden.
Although I feel it is necessary to keep things from getting too crowded,
checking for permits is bad enough as it is.