[pct-l] Bear deterrence thoughts (long)

Bob -
Haven't been following this discussion, but the combination of your name and
the subject got me curious.  <VBG>

We routinely use mothballs to deter damage to vehicles left at trailheads -
especially in PA.  In the past, a number of friends have lost brake lines,
radiator hoses, electrical wiring and other miscellaneous auto parts to the
depradations of porcupines and other varmints.  All of those people now use
mothballs.  I've never heard of using mothballs to deter bears, but there's
no reason to suppose that bears would like the smell any more than
porcupines.

I've also used the macho male marking method of peeing around the tent.
Seems to work.  At least, we've never been disturbed by my "bear brethren"
when we've used it. Bears are far more respectful than humans <G>

Walk softly,
Jim