[pct-l] Bear Canister thoughts

At 04:02 PM 1/23/03, Reynolds, WT wrote:
>Bears are crashing tents for food. There was an incident in Center Basin.
>This was the incident that caused Kings Canyon to implement the Forrester to
>Woods Creek zone.

Tom:

Both these incidents were during peak season and occurred at well used
campsites.

The current discussion is about thru-hikers on the normal thru-hiker
schedule. In a normal year, thru-hikers will be well past the problem areas
before the bears get there.

Tom, I doubt you will get much argument from **anyone** that weekenders in
high season should use canisters. The only argument is whether thru-hikers
need them.

--
Brick Robbins

  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and
   the intelligent are full of doubt.
------- Bertrand Russell