[pct-l] Amigo's Digest

1. Why I like to hike
2. Packs
3. Whitney
4. Bear Cans

1.  I am not a big fan of walking.  I'd rather sit.
However, the "Do you think you can...?" challenge to
explore myself drove me from Mexico to Canada.  While
it's tough to argue against the freedom felt, ease of
worries, and beautiful landscapes, one of the biggest
things the trail did for me was boost my self esteem.
Not knowing where my limits are, the PCT was a good
test.  Mission accomplished.  I WALKED FROM MEXICO TO
CANADA.  What's next?  Rather frankly, I am not to far
from considering Everest as one of my goals.  Whether
I do or not, it's a great feeling to know I can do
ANYTHING I put my mind to.
    Again I'll say I am not a big fan of walking, but
a big fan of the body's transformational sequence,
going from an easy first week in the desert (because
of adrenaline) to a testing second week (because of
blisters for many) to a few more weeks of my body
saying "what the hell are you doing to me?" to a
change where it becomes used to the walking.  about
700 or 800 miles into it, as I hopped from boulder to
boulder, I recognized how primal I was becoming.  I
could leap 8 feet with a pack on over a river to land
on a basketball size rock (without even thinking
twice).  I could smell perfume two to three miles
ahead of me.  I learned to recognize animal steps,
feel the trail in the dark, broaden my peripheral
vision.  I truely felt like an animal.
On the flip side, the feelings were reinforced when
small tasks (manipulatives) became tough.  While I
could rip apart a snickers wrapper like no other, I
had trouble dialing a phone and emailing my friends.
I'd give anything to have those skills again, but I'd
have to start walking, again and again and again.  See
you on the trail.

2.  PACKS - Glen and his GVP company is great.  The
packs are well thought out.  I've got two and may just
buy a third.  I'm very interested in Ron
Fallingwater's  new pack, for he truly has some
innovative ideas, coming from experience.   Just a
request if you're reading Ron...can we see more
pictures of your moonlight pack (i.e. suspension, and
side view) on your site?  Any way you go, buying
"local" is a good philosophy to have nowadays.

3.  Don't pass up Whitney.  Period.

4.  Bear Cans - we're at a unique evolutionary stage
right now.  Over the next 100 years, You and I are
setting the tone to whether bears are going to
co-evolve with the hikers or be weary of them.  With
your help, we can keep these bears wild and afraid of
us, or trailing after us (and teaching their young how
to knock bear bags out of trees).  Do a little
research.  Bears are nearly right up there with smarts
with higher order critters (dolphins and gorillas and
us).  There was a report out in 2000 about the bears
in Yosemite recognizing specific car makes and models
(honda accord early 90's), knowing that the trunks
have weak latches, searching for them in parking lots,
and popping the backs.  DON'T LET BEARS ASSOCIATE
HUMANS WITH FOOD.  pass it on.  (and don't feed other
wildlife either).

Have a good day!
-Amigo